FN,LN,Music and Drivers, G8/Spring 1998, Psychology 459 Holly Ishikawa

Music and Drivers:
What is Your Mood?

My Table of Contents

  • Instructions for Report

  • Music and Drivers: Thoughts from Prior Generations...
  • My Reaction to Mr. Sasabe's Posting
  • My Reaction to Mr. Miyoshi's Posting
  • My Reaction to Mr. Shintani's Posting
  • My Reaction to Brian Haimerman's Posting
  • My Reaction to Kristin Evert's Posting
  • My Reaction to Tami Hashimoto's Posting
  • My Reaction to Cris Burlem's Posting
  • My Reaction to Wilfred Lee's Posting
  • My General Reaction to the Postings
  • My Involvement in Searching Usenet and the Web
  • My Involvement in Searching the CSS Engine and Site Indexes
  • My Involvement in Searching the Journal Database ERIC
  • How Music Affects Drivers According to J. Peter Rothe
  • How My Report Compares to Those of My Fellow Classmates
  • Conclusion

  • My Reaction to Mr. Sasabe's Posting
    
    Mr. Sasabe (G7) wrote:

    I got caught speeding twice in my life and both of the times it was because I was listening to the music in my car and did not realize how fast I was going. Maybe it's all about the "training" that Dr. James has been talking about, but when my favorite music comes out, I just lose myself! On a different day, I was driving and realized that music was off. It was a bit of surprise because I was so calm and relaxed that it was almost like I was meditating. So I recommend that you guys sometimes stop listening to the music in your car. It's really different!

    In this posting, Mr. Sasabe discusses how music affects him. He describes how it affects his sensorimotor domain, because while listening to music he tends to driver faster than normal.

    He also describes how listening to no music while driving affects him. He addresses how it affects his affective domain, because he feels more calm and relaxed while driving when he does not have any music playing.

    I agree with Mr. Sasabe that music can affect our driving behavior, but I also think that it depends on our mood, because if one is in a aggitated mood, loud music (such as rock) may make a person feel more aggitated (I know that is true for me).

    However, I do not agree with Mr. Sasabe when he says that listening to no music while driving is more relaxing. For me, I need to listen to music while driving because it not only keeps me company, but it also makes the time go by faster, especially if there is traffic. I can't imagine not having a stereo in my car because I feel that I would definitely hate driving!

    My Reaction to Mr. Miyoshi's Posting
    
    Mr. Miyoshi (G7) wrote:

    This is also something that I have been thinking about while taking this class. Does rock music make us more aggressive and slow methodical music make us a better driver. It is interesting because rock music makes our hearts beat faster and that might get our adrenaline flowing and made us lose some of our senses. Just a thought for everyone to think about.

    I know what Akira is talking about. Once in a while someone turns off the music in my car before I get in and when I realize that it is off it suprises me. I find myself almost in a meditative state when the radio is off. I am more calm and am able to control my feelings more!

    I think that this could work both ways. I think that if you listen to a station that you don't like but doesn't show views that you are strongly against or go totally against your values then this will work. If you just don't like the Dj's or music then thats fine. However if you listen to a station that gets you upset and deals with touchy situations or points then you could get more agressive on the road and other things that drivers do may upset you more. I think I will have to try this before I give a difinite answer.

    In this posting, Mr. Miyoshi agrees with Mr. Sasabe that listening to no music while driving is more relaxing and calming, because he realizes that when there is no music playing he is able to control his feelings more easily.

    He also discusses how aggressive music, such as rock, makes a persons heart beat faster and gets the adrenaline flowing. He also states that if one is listening to a radio program that deals with topics that one finds to be "touchy" or offensive, then a person may become more aggressive due to it.

    I agree with Mr. Miyoshi that a radio program that discusses topics that one is not comfortable with because it may be offensive or "touchy," then one can become more aggressive. For example, I tend to listen to Dr. Laura, a psychologist on the radio (AM 830) while I am driving, and there are times that I do not agree with her or some of her callers, and I tend to become aggitated and a little more aggressive to other drivers than normal.

    My Reaction to Mr. Shintani's Posting
    
    Mr. Shintani (G7) wrote:

    I really think that music has an effect on the way a person drives. When I want to drive fast I play a CD that has a powerful or past beat. My favorite is the Top Gun sound track. If I want to relax while driving I would put in a mellow CD like Kalapana or some type of soft rock. I dont listen to rap so I dont know the effects of listening to this type of music.

    I really think that some music causes bad driving behavior than others. I can see people being more aggressive after listening to heavy metal then to classical music. I has been proven in studies that playing of classical music in malls helps to reduce the amount to violence in metal than to clasical music. I has been proven in studies that playing of classical music in malls helps to reduce the amount to violence in these malls. I do this in two ways by mellowing or relaxing people and by staying away from a certain section of the community that causes a lot of thecrimes.

    I really liked Mr. Shitani's posting because he clearly explains how music affects him. He states that when he wants to drive fast, he listens to powerful and fast paced music. However, when he wants to relax while he is driving he listens to calm music, such as Hawaiian melodies. I feel Mr. Shitani's explanation clearly illustrates how music affects drivers.

    He also explains that he feels that some music may cause bad driving behavior especially since some studies have found that classical music helps to reduce violence in shopping malls.

    In my opinion, I also believe that music can affect our cognitive,affective, and sensorimotor domain because I notice that when there is rap music playing on the radio I become more aggitated and more aggressive while I am driving. I usually never listen to rap music, but my boyfriend likes to listen to it, so there are times that I am forced to hear it, therefore that is when I notice myself being much more anxious and behaving in ways I would not normally, such as tailgating for no apparent reason and cussing in the car.

    My Reaction to Brian Haimerman's Posting
    
    
    Web visitor Brian Haimerman wrote by e-mail: (November 1997)

    I want to thank Dr. James & Mr. Shintani for the feedback. At this time I am taking a History of Rock and Roll class and am learning of the effect that rock music has in our psyche. We are basically talking about how we listen to music. The Affective, Cognitive, Psycho-motor, and Transpersonal. It is almost like a psychology class. So far like I said in my last message, music does affect our psycho-physical. The loudness and the beat play the biggest part. It has a direct effect on our hearts. Notice why younger people like loud beating music. It is because it causes our heart beats to go faster and our blood pressure to rise. For us it is enjoyable but for older people it is a big no no! The more I learn the more I'll tell you about it!

    In this posting, Brian briefly discusses how music, such as rock music affects our affective domain. He states that the loudness and the beat of the music has a direct effect on our hearts, such as beating faster.

    I agree that different types of music affects people differently. I notice that when I want to relax, not only when I am driving, but in general, I like to listen to instrumental music because there is no loud bass or singing to make me feel jumpy. Therefore, when I want to be in a relaxed state, I listen to instrumental music that consists of harps, flutes, and pianos.

    My Reaction to Kristin Evert's Posting
    
    
    
    Kristin Evert (G7) wrote:

    After reading the little excerp about music and driving behavior I really started to think about myself and my own driving. If all of this is right, I should technically be a VERY aggressive, speeding maniac on the road, because when I drive I like my music loud and usually fast-paced and "singable" (meaning I can sing along). Although I am no Ms. Perfection, I am more often times getting passed than doing the passing, as I usually try to stay no more than 10 mph over the speed limit.

    On the other hand, however, I could see how slow sappy music could make me sleepy, even if I like the song. Hmmm...

    In this posting, Kristin explains that she does not totally agree that music affects driving behavior, more specifically, that loud music may cause aggressive driving. She states that she likes to listen to her music loud and fast paced, but she is not an aggressive driver. She also states that when she is driving, she notices that she is driving slower than other cars on the road, and that is why she disagrees that loud and fast paced music causes aggressive driving behavior.

    Although there may be studies that show that certain music affects a persons behavior, I think it totally depends on the person. There are some people who enjoy listening to rap music, and there are others who don't. Also, there are some people who love classical music, and there are others that don't. Therefore, if a person does not like classical music, but always listens to rap music, when they listen to classical music they may be more aggressive because they don't like that type of music, thus they may feel more aggitated. Therefore, I strongly believe that our behavior also depends on if we like or dislike the music, not only the type of music being played.

    My Reaction to Tami Hashimoto's Posting
    
    
     
    Tami Hshimoto (G7) wrote:

    I just wanted to respond to marshall's message on how music affects my driving. When I'm driving, music makes me relaxed and clam. Ifeel that when I'm driving in traffic the music that I listen to helps me to feel less anxious and fustrated. I'm able to tolerate more unsafe drivers by letting them get a head of me. Music is an awesome way to relax when I'm driving.

    Tami explains that she finds music to be relaxing when she drives. She states that it is extremely (music) helpful when she is in traffic becuase it helps her to feel less anxious and frustrated.

    I agree with Tami that music has a postive affect out our affective domain because I too feel more relaxed and calm when I listen to music while I am in traffic. I also find music to be a companion while driving, because it keeps me company and it also helps the time to go by faster (especially in rush hour).

    My Reaction to Cris Burlem's Posting
    
    
    
    Cris Burlem (G7) wrote:

    I have been in the drivers frustration seat many a time as many of us have. My solution to claming down is actually the opposite. I find that by turning off the radio I am able to relax when I am in an uptight mood to begin with. I find that turning off the radio helps me concentrate on the road and what is going on. It is at these times that I think music actually irritates me?!?

    Cris explains that he does not find music to be relaxing, but just the opposite, especially if he is driving and is in an uptight mood. He also states that when the radio is off he is able to concentrate better on the road and his driving.

    I have never tried driving without any music, so I am not able to respond to Cris's posting properly, but I strongly believe that our behavior towards music depends on the type of music and our mood. For example, when I am feeling blue, I do not like to listen to happy and face paced music because I don't find it to cheer me up. Therefore, I rather listen to gloomy music although it may make me more depresses. Thus, the point I am trying to make is that I think the way we respond to music depends on our mood state.

    My Reaction to Wilfred Lee's Posting
    
    
    Wilfred Lee (G7) wrote last semester:

    I definitely agree that music has a role in how you drive. Fast music, and loud music, makes you more excited, and makes your heart pump faster. In turn making you drive faster. Slow music relaxes you and you get more mellow. If you dont believe it, then ever tried driving really fast with classical music. It just doesn't work. maybe the solution is to make everyone listen to classical music. I did hear an interesting fact, babies in the womb become calm children when mothers listen to classical music. Maybe classical music is our solution????

    I'm a townie so I consider myself fortunate. I live in Kahala so I drive for 5 minutes and get to school. I often ask my friend that has to drive from Pearl City to get to school by 8 how he does it. He just says he has to deal with it and has accepted it as part of his life. What i did to try to alleviate his road rage is make a tape of his favorite songs. My theory is when he listens to his favorite songs then he doesn't notice the traffic as much, and time passes by more quickly. I sing (sometimes) in the car. That makes the time fly by faster. I also enjoy it and it takes my mind off the congested road. Could this be a possible solution for the commuters to school?

    In this posting, Wilfred discusses how different types of music can affect out affective and sensorimotor domain. He states that loud and fast paced music makes people more excited, and makes their hearts beat faster, where as slow paced music makes a person more relaxed and calm.

    I definitely agree that different types of music affects people in different ways, for example, when my boyfriend wants to drive fast he puts in his Miami Vice CD. This may sound ridiculous, but by listening to that CD he feels that it reinforces his feelings of driving fast.

    Wilfred also gives a few suggestions on how to avoid road rage. He suggests that while driving, one should listen to songs that they like because if one listens to their favorite songs then one will not notice the traffic as much because one will be engrossed in the music. he also suggests that singing in the car can make the time go by faster, especially if one is in traffic.

    My General Reaction to All the Postings

    It appears that there is a general agreement that music can affect the way a person drives, and that loud fast-paced music such as rock or rap affects ones affective domain because it raises heartbeats and adrenalin.

    I agree that certain types of music can affect a persons driving behavior, but I think that a persons age also influences how they react to the music. Thus, since I was interested to know if the age of a person makes a difference in how one may interpret the music and how it affects their driving behavior, I informally interviewed 5 people between the ages of 17 and 55.

    This is what I learned:
    I found that individuals between the ages of 46-55 that I interviewed were not directly influenced by the type of music they are listening to. For example, one person said that the reason they listen to music while driving is because it keeps them company and makes the drive less lonely. The person also stated that the type of music doesn't matter because there are times that she does not really pay attention to the radio, but it comforts her to know that the radio is on.

    I also learned that individuals between the ages of 17-29 are more influenced and "picky" on the type of music they listen to. For instance, one person repsonded that he only listens to his CD's while he is driving because he likes to play music according to the way he feels. For example, if he had a bad day at work he likes to listen to loud rock music because it seems to relax him more. Also, he does not like listening to the radio because most of the time the radio plays a wide variety of music from Hawaiian to rock, and he does not like a lot of the music they play on the radio.

    From speaking to the individuals, I learned that music does have an affect on our driving behavior, and it also appears that a persons age does make a difference on how they respond to the music. From my own experience, I find listening to music, whether it be the radio or a CD, to be quite essential for me while I am driving. I like listening to music while I am in the car because it makes the drive less lonely. However, there are certain types of music that I rather not listen to, such as, rap, country, and blues because they do not entertain me, quite simply, I do not like those type of music. However, there are times when I am driving and I don't realize that the radio is playing rap, but when I do notice the music I get quite bothered and immediately turn the station. I like listening to instrumental music when I know I'll be in the car for a while, like when I am in traffic, because I find it to be relaxing and it also seems to pass the time faster because it does not have an obvious end when another track begins, thus it seems that it's one continious song throughout the CD. Also, ever since I was a child my dad always listened to the "symphony" station, I don't know the exact station, but they only play instrumental music, and I think that I was influenced to like this type of music from him. My dad still listens to that station, and whenever I ride with him I feel relaxed and comfortable, the same way I felt as a child riding with him.

    My Involvement with Searching Usenet and the Web

    I was able to find 4 postings that were related to music and driving using Deja News.

    
    
    Subject:      Music - effect on driving and temperament
    From:         Mr Devo 
    Date:         1998/03/25
    Message-ID:   <35185EC1.943EF0F1@cosmos.net.au>
    Newsgroups:   aus.cars
    

    I recall having heard anectodal evidence that seventies and classical music is the most appropriate to play when driving. I had been listening to seventies music for several years prior to this snippet of information, and in my experience, seventies music, especially 1976-1979 disco, some soul and funk, has proven to be the most relaxing. Techno "drives" me insane. That relentless thumping, racing heart and adrenalin, ideal for the racecourse, deadly on the public roads.

    In this posting, the person descibes how certain music, such as disco, soul, and funk are the most relaxing for him while driving. He also describes how Techno music can affect the way a person drives because it may affect a person's heartbeat and adrenalin by making their hearts beat faster and make their adrenalin go up, thus, it could cause road rage.

    
    
    Subject:      Re: Music - effect on driving and temperament
    From:         "Tim Archer" 
    Date:         1998/03/25
    Message-ID:   <01bd57b2$b81dd540$14e14e81@client-83.stpauls.usyd.edu.au>
    Newsgroups:   aus.cars
    

    Jack Stands wrote: > Anecdotal would be right.
    It depends on how you feel about the music. I drive 250km per day around town working. Commercial radio is out cause it has stupid ads and that drives me to a frustration that NO music could acheive no matter how bad. An aparently good advert could never come close to a shit song let alone a good one.

    I agree 100% here. Also, commercial radio stations have pathetic DJs that just babble on and on and on with advertising crap.

    > You get others who would gladly do hurts harm to a radio playing seventies disco, funk.

    I think that perhaps radar love or highway to hell would not have a calming effect on driving.

    Well I don't know that _Highway to Hell_ could be called 70s disco or funk. ;-)

    > My point is that this music is that you like. Do anything that you dont like while driving and I am sure you will get stressed out. And the point is listen to whatever you like if you like it.

    I find that I listen to music according to my mood. Not the other way around. ie the music I listen to doesn't determine my mood.

    I can also feel perfectly relaxed listening to loud/fast music.

    >I recall having heard anectodal evidence that seventies and classical >music is the most appropriate to play when driving.

    I don't know about that... Get a copy of _Ode to Joy_, crank it up in your car and you'll know what I mean.

    Much classical music (orchestral stuff and operas, anyway) is intended to be stirring, and certainly does not induce a "serene" mood!

    Tim

    The main issue being discussed in this posting is that a person's mood depends how the music affects a person, because the writer states that he can feel relaxed and non-aggressive while listening to loud fast paced music.

    I agree that our mood plays a great deal on how we interact with others. If one is in a terrible mood he/she will not treat others the same way when he/she is in a postitve mood. Moreoever, the type of music a person listens to also depends on a persons mood.

    
    
    Subject:      Road Rage - prevention better than cure.
    From:         Mr Devo 
    Date:         1998/04/15
    Message-ID:   <35340949.E7625EFC@cosmos.net.au>
    Newsgroups:   aus.cars
    
    

    I was almost the victim of road rage recently, although the incident occured in a parking lot. The gentleman who almost hit my parked car while turning into the adjacent parking spot did not take too kindly to my suggestion that he take greater care. He immediately became defensive. I defused the situation by apologizing for "over-reacting" to his apparent lack of parking finesse. If I had become aggressive as well, the result may have been a physical altercation. I strive to drive by the following Golden Rules:

    1. Let impatient drivers pass. You'll soon catch them up. They will have revved the hell out of their cars, increasing wear and tear, not to mention their blood pressure.

    2. Be courteous where PRACTICABLE! Courtesy at the wrong time can prove as dangerous as aggressiveness.

    3. Listen to relaxing music that complements driving. I love punk, hardcore, and some metal, yet do not listen to these in the car, as they make me over-confident, aggressive, euphoric, and therefore more likely to cause an accident. My choice of driving music is as far removed from punk, etc, as you can imagine: Seventies disco and other catchy tunes!!! No..I'm not a split personality!!

    4. Always expect the WORST of other drivers! That way, when they do make an error, you won't be disappointed.

    5. Travel at a speed consistent with common sense. The sign might read 80, which is fine on a sunny, dry day, but lethal on a wet day.

    6. Use cunning to escape from tailgaters playing games. These WANKERS are driving with their dicks, not with their brains. Don't antagonize them. You never know the mental state of these drivers. They may have just split up with their lover, they may be bursting for a piss, have a bad case of haemorrhoids, or simply be too FAR GONE to be of any use to man or beast.

    7. Playing your Cd player too loud is an invitation to thieves. It's as though your saying..Hey, arent' I cool! Check it out when I'm out. As Martin/Molloy would say : "mistake gone wrong!"

    8. Resist the temptation to follow the well-intentioned but often misdirected advice of backseat drivers. Threaten to expel them from the vehicle if they don't shut their cakehole. Best of all, drive on your own. I drive on my own most of the time, and prefer it, as I can listen to my music and sing along, swear(only if unavoidable, and of therapeutic value).

    9. Using these principles, I hope to be able to maintain a safe and incident-free driving record until the day I retire from driving.

    Feedback welcome

    Steve.

    I liked this particular posting for several reasons. The first reason is that it contained information I was looking for and the second reason is that he gives great suggestions on how one can avoid road rage. It is comforting to know that there are drivers who have good self control, and hopefully his suggestions will be able to help other drivers.

    One of the suggestions that the writer makes regarding music is that one should listen to relaxing music that complements driving. He also states that he likes listening to rock music, but he does not listen to it while he is driving because it makes him aggressive and over confindent.

    
    
    Subject:      More: You know you're a road geek when....
    From:         jimk65@aol.com (JimK65)
    Date:         1998/04/19
    Message-ID:   <1998041904473700.AAA11635@ladder03.news.aol.com>
    Newsgroups:   misc.transport.road
    
    

    You yellow highlight all the Interstates you've personally driven on a US map.

    You curse the major bookstores because there are ZERO picture books on roads. (Bridges will have to suffice)

    You dream of creating a photo essay "coffe table" book on the interstate system yourself!

    You brag that you could find your way home if dropped anywhere in the US because your knowledge of roads is so good.

    You enjoy the drive more than the destination when on vacation.

    You have certain music you play when driving certian stretches of road. (Play Foreplay/Long time by Boston LOUD on I-95 North starting at the north end of Philadelphia Int'l airport and you'll see what I mean...a road geek moment)

    You're on a raod trip...about 250 miles from home, it's a beautiful day....you say to yourself "Man it doesnt get much better than this"

    You are startled to actually meet another road geek in person.

    You use Interstate #'s in your personal passwords or codes

    Jim K. Georges

    The reason why I decided to post this particular posting is because I found it to be cute. It is not meant to offend anyone in any way.

    After reading this posting I chuckled to myself because I questioned if I was a road geek. Ever since I started taking this class, I notice that I pay much more attention to my driving behavior and the behavior of other drivers. It also seems that whenever I am driving I tend to always think about our class discussions on driving behaviors and driving personalities (what a geek yeah?). Thus, I thought this posting could relate to some of us in class because I feel that most of us have been greatly influenced in a positive way by Dr. James.

    Using the search engine Alta Vista I was not able to find information that were related to music and driving, but I was able to find a few information on how music affects us and our moods.

    SITE #1
    The first site is titled How Music Affects Us and it was provided by Byron Friesen.

    In his site, Byron discusses three different types of music:gangsta rap,country, and rock. He also brings to attention some of the pros and cons of each style of music.

    Basically, the article states that each style of music has its pros and cons, but it depends on the listener on how they react to it. For example, gangsta rap music is a controversial issue among some people because some say that it promotes violence, drugs, and guns and is the cause for the high crime rate in America. However, some artists explain that they are only expressing their feelings and realities through their music without the intentions to harm or promote violence in any way.

    According to Byron, the type of music one listens to is not what promotes bad and/or violent behaviors, but it is how people misinterpret the music. There are some people who often forget that music is meant for entertainment value and should not be taken too seriously. Morever, Byron also states that it is the people who listen to the music who determine their behaviors, not the music itself.

    I agree with Byron that people should not blame the music or the artist for bad and/or violent behaviors because it is not the music that forces people to behave in a certain way. Although there are some types of music that offend people and are about crime, suicide, sex, and drugs, I think that one should not blame the music for the violence in our country because I think that is only an excuse and a way to blame someone for it. People need to take reponsibility for their actions and try not to blame someone or something for their behavior. I don't like listening to rap music, but sometimes I am forced to because my boyfriend always listens to it while he is driving. However, when I listen to it, I don't feel like committing a crime, nor do I feel the artist is speaking to me directly.

    SITE #2
    The second site I found was an experiement titled Music and Moods by a Lincoln Elementary school student named Alexis Heikkinen.

    The reason why Alexis decided to do this experiment was because one day at home he switched a tape of Mozart to a tape of rock, and he found that it changed his mood quite substantially. Thus, since it affected his mood he hypothesized it would also affect the moods of other people.

    To do his experiement he gathered four different types of music: rap, rock, blues and opera. He then got 14 participants to listen to the music and respond to how they felt towards the music by drawing what they felt by using a colored marker that also expressed their mood.

    Alexis' Results:
    Alexis found that most people felt cool, weird, or free while listening to rap music. The colors they used to draw their drawings were mainly purple, green, orange, blue, and red. The drawings consisted mostly of rap singers, musical notes, and sound waves.

    While listening to rock music most of the participants stated they felt cool, heavy, weird, or funny. The colors they used to draw their drawing were mainly orange, purple, brown, blue, pink, and green. the drawing consisted mostly of people with crazy hair, sunglasses, guitars, musical notes, and soundwaves.

    While listening to blues music majority of the people felt sad, light, airy, and sleepy. They colors that were used to draw their drawing were blue, red, green, yellow, and pink. The drawings consisted of fields, restaurants, and bands.

    While listening to opera music most people felt happy, sleepy, and light. The colors they used to draw their draings were mainly red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and brown. The drawings consisted of flowers, sound waves, funerals, and women in viking hats.

    Although this site is very limited on information, I was very impressed with it since it was done by an elementary student. I was quite surprised that a young child would notice how different types of music affected his mood. I did not think that children his age pay much attention to their feelings, moreover would want to invetigate more on it. Nonetheless, it is important to say that music can affect a person's mood, even a young childs, thus, it is essential that parents monitor the type of music children listen to because they may misinterpret it.

    My Involvement with Searching the CSS Engine and Site Indexes

    The CSS Engine provided me with many reports that had topics on music and driving. However, the reports that were provided were not solely on music and driving, but I was able to find 3 reports that had information I was searching for.

    REPORT #1
    Braden Kato from Generation 2
    In his report, Braden briefly discusses how music can affect driving behavior. He states that some people tend to drive more aggressively while listening to heavy metal music. Whereas easy listening music tend to be more relaxing for most drivers. He also states that a person's driving personality could be synonymous with their driving style. Moreover, a person's driving personlity is affected by different elements, and no two driving experiences are alike.

    I agree with Braden that a person's driving personlity is affected by different elements, such as a person's mood state, music, and behaviors of other drivers to name a few.

    REPORT #2
    Sheldon Tawata from Generation
    According to Sheldon, heavy metal music and music with harsh lyrics make him a more aggressive driver than usual, therefore he tries to avoid those types of music while driving. Moreover, he likes to listen to music that enhance his driving performance. The types of music he likes are those that sing about nature, life, and women (of course!) because it puts his mind at ease. Moreoever, those type of music takes him away from direct realities of traffic, but it does not totally withdraw him from the actual driving.

    I think it is great that Sheldon knows what affects his driving behavior in a negative way and aviods it. However, I don't think there are many drivers who actually know what type of music puts them in a more relaxed and calm state, because I think they tend listen to music that they like, whether it be rock, classical, country or rap. Moreover, many drivers probably do not take into consideration how the music affects them because they like listening to it even if it makes them a more aggressive driver.

    Dan Hamamoto from Generation 5
    In his report, Dan discusses how we can improve our driving according to Dr. Cohn, a driving therapist. Dan states that Dr. Cohn's site focuses on how drivers can be more aware by practicing breathing techniques because by being aware, one can focus on the present more easily. Thus, when people are in this state of awareness, one may be able to rationalize situations before allowing their emotions to get in the way, such as cussing and tailgating for example.

    Dan also disccuses another site by Dr. Driving. According to Dan, Dr. Driving is a behaviorist who analyzes another's behavior and tries to alter the unwanted behavior. Moreover, Dr. Driving specifically pinpoints unwanted driving behaviors and gives solutions to it, for example, a three step program to regain control at the wheel.

    The Three Step Program to Regain Control at the Wheel According to Dr. Driving:

  • admint that you are out of control
  • witness yourself being out of control
  • modify your driving personality one step at a time

    Lastly, Dan states that he is usually not a very passive driver because he allows his emotions to get the best of him. However, he also states that he will try to implement Dr. Drivings three step program, and hopefully it wwill help him to modify his driving behavior and be a more peaceful and friendly driver on the road.

    My Involvement with Searching the Journal Database ERIC

    Using the journal database ERIC, I found 8 articles that relate to music and drivers.

    Iversen, Janet. The Effect of Music On The Personal Relevance of Lyrics. Psychology: A Jouranl of Human Behavior,V26 N2-3 P15-22 1989.

    Hansen, Christine Hall; Hansen, Ranald D.The Influence of Sex and Violence on the Appeal of Rock Music Videos.Communication Research; v17 n2 p212-34 Apr 1990.

    Wells, Alan; Hakanen, Ernest A. The Emotional Use of Popular Music by Adolescents. Journalism Quarterly; v68 n3 p445-54 Fall 1991; 1991.

    Lewis, Barbara E. Schmidt, Charles P. Listeners' Response to Music as a Function of Personality Type. Journal of Research in Music Education; v39 n4 p311-21 Win 1991.

    Ballard, Mary E.,Coates, Steven. The Immediate Effects of Homicidal, Suicidal, and Nonviolent Heavy Metal and Rap Songs on the Moods of College Students. Youth & Society; v27 n2 p148-68 Dec 1995 .

    Lester, David; Whipple, Melissa. Music Preference, Depression, Suicidal Preoccupation, and Personality: Comment on Stack and Gundlach's Papers. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior; v26 n1 p68-70 Spr 1996 .

    Miller, Marilyn A. The Effects of Music Videos on Adolescent Meaning Construction and Attitudes toward Physical Violence as a Method of Conflict Resolution.

    Lehtonen, Kimmo; Shaughnessy, Michael F.. Music as a Treatment Channel of Adolescent Destructivity.

    How Music Affects Drivers According to J. Peter Rothe

    According to J.Peter Rothe in his book Challenging the Old Order, the media is a great influence and plays a great role in conveying messages to the public. Every specific message, whether it originates from advertisers, governments, coporations, nonprofit agencies, or others, strikes its target audience as one of a vast and unending stream of all sorts of messages on all sorts of topics.

    There are some messages that convey negative messages or images, such as the use of tobacco and alcohol. However, not all messages conveyed are negative, one example of a positive information and influence are organizations such as MADD or Mothers Against Drunk Driving, who try to educate the public and find effective slutions to related drunk driving and underage problems. Thus, I blieve that MADD is a very influential organization because of thier firm bleifs on drinking and driving. I am convinced that MADD and its supporters make a difference in our society in educating and making the public more aware of the dangers of drinking and driving.

    In conclusion, it appears quite clear that the media has a great influence on the public and people of all ages. Thus, it is also important that parents also help to educate their youths on the negative influences of the media and somehow monitor their music and television watchings because young children may interpret the information in a negative way.

    How My Report Compares to Those of My Fellow Classmates

    Looking at the reports on music and drivers I found all of them to be well done, but I liked Grace Lumabao's because her title Drivng to A Different Beat caught my attention. I also liked her presentation style because she gives a brief introduction in the beginning of each section which I thought was helpful.

    Conclusion

    I hope my report will be helpful to future generation students who may be interested in this topic.

    Since our class, generation 8, was the first to do a report devoted to music and driving, information was very limited. Thus, hopefully my report will be a good stepping stone for the next.

    In general, music has always been a great interest to many people. Moreoever, there are some music that are constroversial, such as rap and heavy metal. Thus, many studies try to prove how music can have a negative effect on people, for instance, heavy metal music have subliminal messages to kill. Therefore, there are extensive materials on music and people, but there are very few information on how music affects drivers. Hopefully, Dr. James and his classes will be able to provide more material on this subject.

    In conlcusion, I think there is a general agreement that music does affect our driving behavior and driving mood from reading the prior emails and the reports done by my classmates.

    My Home Page|| My Report 1 on:How Drivers Communicate|| My Report 2 on:Music and Driving|| My Mid-term Report on Tailgating:Fair or Unfair?|| My Bookmarks File|| My Icons File|| Our psy 459 Home Page|| My psy 409b Home Page|| Our psy 409b Class Home Page|| Our G8 Index of All Reports|| Dr. Leon James Home Page
    email me