NOTE: Leon James was formerly Leon A. Jakobovits
1. Lambert, W.E. and Jakobovits, L.A. Verbal satiation and changes in the intensity of meaning. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1960, 60, 376-83.
2. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. Semantic satiation among bilinguals. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1961, 62, 576-82.
3. Jakobovits, Leon A. Effects of Repeated Presentation on cognitive Aspects of Behavior: Some Experiments on the Phenomenon of Semantic Satiation. Doctoral Dissertation, Department of Psychology, McGill University. 1962. Available here: http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/499s2000/banaag/semantic-satiation.htm
4. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. Semantic satiation in an addition task. Canadian Journal of Psychology, 1962, 16, 112-19.
5. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. Mediated satiation in verbal transfer. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1962, 64, 346-51.
6. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. The effects of repetition in communication on meanings and attitudes. In L. Arons and M.A. May (Eds.), Television and Human Behavior. New York: Appleton- Century-Crofts, 1963. Pp.167-76.
7. Messer, S., Jakobovits, L.A., Kanungo, R., and Lambert, W.E. Semantic satiation of words and numbers. British Journal of Psychology , 1964, 55, 155-63.
8. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. Stimulus-characteristics as determinants of semantic changes with repeated presentation. American Journal of Psychology, 1964, 77, 84-92.
9. Jakobovits, L.A. Semantic satiation in concept formation. Psychological Reports, 1965, 17, 113-14.
10. Jakobovits, L.A. Repetition of auditorily presented information. Psychological Reports, 1965, 17, 785-86.
11. Jakobovits, L.A. Mediation theory and the 'single-stage' S-R model: Different? Psychological Review, 1966, 73, 376-81.
12. Jakobovits, L.A. Utilization of semantic satiation in stuttering: A theoretical analysis. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 1966, 31, 105-114.
13. Jakobovits, L.A. Studies of fads: I. The 'Hit Parade.' Psychological Reports, 1966, 18, 443-50.
14. Jakobovits, L.A. Television, Children, and Repetition. Institute of Communications Research: Urbana, Illinois, 1966.
15. Jakobovits, L.A. Comparative psycholinguistics in the study of cultures. International Journal of Psychology, 1966, 1, 15-37. (Also translated and reprinted in: T. Slama-Cazacu (Ed.), La Psycholinguistique. Paris: Editions Klincksieck, 1972.) Abstract here.
16. Jakobovits, L.A. and Osgood, C.E. Connotations of twenty psychological journals to their professional readers. American Psychologist , 1967, 22, 792-800.
17. Jakobovits, L.A. and Miron, M.S. (eds.). Readings in the Psychology of Language. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: 1967.
18. Jakobovits, L.A. Semantic Satiation as a Function of Initial Polarity. Paper presented at the 1967 Eastern Psychological Association annual conference. Available here.
19. Jakobovits, L.A. Comments on Macnamara's "How can one measure the extent of a person's bilingual proficiency?" Proceedings of the International Seminar on the Description and Measurement of Bilingualism. New Brunswick: University of Moncton, 1967.
20. Jakobovits, L.A. Semantic satiation and cognitive dynamics. Journal of Special Education, 1967, 2, 35-44. Available here.
21. Jakobovits, L.A. and Hogenraad, Robert. Some suggestive evidence on the operation of semantic generation and satiation in group discussions. Psychological Reports, 1967, 20, 1247-1250.
22. Jakobovits, L.A. Words, words, words. In L. Kuppuswami, Modern Trends in Psychology. Bombay: Manaktala & Sons, 1967.
23. Jakobovits, L.A. and Lambert, W.E. A note on the measurement of semantic satiation. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 1967, 6, 954-57.
24. Jakobovits, L.A. and Hogenraad, Robert. Le phenomene de la satiation semantique. Bulletin de Psychologie. 1968, 22, 140-49.
25. Jakobovits, L.A. Effects of mere exposure: A comment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Monograph Supplement, 1968, 9, 30-32. Available here.
26. Jakobovits, L.A. Dimensionality of compound-coordinate bilingualism. Language Learning, August 1968, (Special Issue No. 3), 29-49. Parts of this available in this chapter.
27. Jakobovits, L.A. Implications of recent psycholinguistic developments for the teaching of a second language. Language Learning, 1968, 18, 89-109. (Also reprinted in: Mark Lester (Ed.), Readings in Applied Transformational Grammar. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston 1970). (Again reprinted in: Robert C. Lugton (Ed.), Toward a Cognitive Approach to Second Language Acquisition. Philadelphia: The Center for Curriculum Development, 1971.)
28. Jakobovits, L.A. Second language learning and transfer theory: A theoretical assessment. Language Learning, 1969, 19, 55-86. Parts of this available in this chapter.
29. Jakobovits, L.A. Research findings and FL requirements in colleges and universities. Foreign Language Annals, 1969, 2, 436-56.
30. Jakobovits, L.A. A functional approach to the assessment of language skills. Journal of English as a Second Language, 1969, 4, 63-76 (Also reprinted in: A. Aarons and Barbara Y. Gordon (Eds.), Linguistic-Cultural Differences and American Education. Special Anthology Issue of The Florida FL Reporter, vol.7, 1969.) Also reprinted and available here in this chapter.
31. Jakobovits, L.A. The physiology and psychology of second language learning. In Emma Birkmaier (Ed.), Britannica Review of Foreign Language Education. Chicago: Encyclopedia Britannica, 1969. Available here.
32. Jakobovits, L.A. Rhetoric and stylistics: Some basic issues in the analysis of discourse. College Composition and Communication, 1969, 20, 314-28. Available here.
33. Jakobovits, L.A. The development of a cross-cultural graphic differential. International Journal of Symbology, 1969, 1, 28-52. Available here.
34. Jakobovits, L.A. The psycholinguists: Whither now? A review of G.A. Miller's "The Psychology of Communication." Contemporary Psychology, 1969, 14, 156-57. Available here.
36. Jakobovits, L.A. Prolegomena to a theory of communicative competence In R.C. Lugton (Ed.), English as a Second Language: Current Issues. Philadelphia: Center for Curriculum Development, 1970. Pp.1-39. Available here.
37. Jakobovits, L.A. The foundations of foreign language learning and teaching: Psychological aspects. In Eberhard Reichmann (Ed.), The Teaching of German: Problems and Methods. Philadelphia: National Carl Schurz Association, 1970.
38. Nelson, R.J. and Jakobovits, L.A. Motivation in foreign language learning. In J. Tursi (Ed.), Foreign Languages and the New Student: Reports of the Working Committees. New York: Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, 1970. Pp.30-104
39. Steinberg, Danny D. and Jakobovits, Leon A. (Eds.) Semantics: An Interdisciplinary Reader in Philosophy, Linguistics, and Psychology. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1971.
40. Jakobovits, L.A. Procedural steps in individualizing FL instruction. Individualization of Foreign Language Learning in America Newsletter. December 1971. (Also reprinted in: Foreign Language Annals, 1971, 96-98.)
41. Jakobovits, L.A. The psychological bases of second language learning Language Sciences, February 1971, 22-28. (Also reprinted in: Frank Pialorsi (Ed.), Teaching the Bilingual: New Methods and Old Tradition.)
42. Jakobovits, L.A. A typology of FL education with particular emphasis on compensatory and individualized instruction. In Ronald L. Gougher (Ed.), Individualized Instruction in Foreign Languages Philadelphia: Center for Curriculum Development, 1971. Chapt.5. (Also reprinted in: H.B. Altman and R.L. Politzer (Eds.), Individualized Foreign Language Instruction. Rowley, Mass.: Newbury House, 1971.) Available here.
43. Jakobovits, L.A. Freedom to teach and freedom to learn: Pre-publication of selections from "The Context of Foreign Language Teaching." Foreign Language Newsletter, XX(79), December 1971, 7-9. Available here.
44. Jakobovits, L.A. Some potential uses of the Cross-cultural Atlas of Affective Meanings. Proceedings of the XI Interamerican Congress of Psychology. Mexico, 1967. Also reprinted in: W.W. Lambert and Rita Weisbrod (Eds.), Comparative Perspectives on Social Psychology. Boston: Little, Brown, 1971. Pp.164-74. Available online here.
45. Steinberg, Danny and Jakobovits, L.A. (Eds.), Semantics: An Inter-disciplinary Reader in Linguistics, Philosophy, and Psychology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1971. (Reprinted paperback editions in 1972 and again in 1974.)
46. Jakobovits, L.A. American psycholinguistics with a European perspective. Modern Language Journal, 1972.
47. Jakobovits, L.A. The dilemma of bilingual education. In Merrill Swain (Ed.), Bilingual Schooling. Toronto: The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 1972.
48. Jakobovits, L.A. Authenticity in foreign language teaching. Introduction to Sandra Savignon, Toward Communicative Competence: An Experiment in Foreign Language Teaching. Philadelphia: Center for Curriculum Development, 1972. Available here.
49. Jakobovits, L.A. Review of Hans Hormann's "Psycholinguistics: An Introduction to Research and Theory." The Modern Language Journal, LVI(4), April 1972, 254.
50. Jakobovits, L.A. Freedom to teach and freedom to learn. TESOL Quarterly, 1973, 117-126. Available here.
51. Jakobovits, L.A. Vers une nouvelle philosophie de l'enseignement des langues. Le Francais dans le Monde, 1973.
52. Jakobovits, L.A. and Gordon, Barbara Y. The Context of Foreign Language Teaching, Rowley, Mass.: Newbury House, 1974. Out of print. Available chapters here: Chapter 1 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9
53. Jakobovits, L.A. Transactional engineering analysis: A reply to Ney. The Modern Language Journal, 1974, LVIII(4), 201-03.
54. Jakobovits, L.A. and Diane Nahl. Community-Cataloguing Practices. (Series I through VI). Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii, 1975-79. Several of these are available: here(1) || here(2) || here(3) || here(4) || here(5) || and here(6)
55. Jakobovits, L.A. Principles of Ethnosemantics and Its Relation to Ethnomethodology and Applied Psycholinguistics. 1977. On the Web at: http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/leonj/leonpsy/instructor/ethnos/estoc.html
56. Jakobovits, L.A. and Gordon, Barbara Y. Transactional engineering for the language teacher: The third force in language teaching. Alberta Modern Language Journal, 15(2), Winter 1976-77, 11-43. Versions available here.
57. Jakobovits, L.A. Workbook for the Study of Social Psychology. (Second Edition) Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii, 1977 and 1978. (University of Hawaii Library). Portions available here.
58. Jakobovits, L.A. and Gordon, Barbara Y. The social psychology of language teaching. In I. Koike et.al. (Eds.), The Teaching of English in Japan. Tokyo: Eichosha, 1978.
59. Jakobovits, L.A. and Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane. Society's Witnesses: Experiencing Formative Issues in Social Psychology. Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii, 1978. (University of Hawaii Library) Available here.
60. James, Leon and Nahl, Diane (1978). The National Laboratories for Literacy - NLL. Available here.
61. Jakobovits, L.A. and Gordon, Barbara Y. Applied psycholinguistics in social psychology. In Zbornik Radova O Govoru I Jezicu (Commemorative Volume in honor of D. Kostic) Beograd, Yugoslavia: Institute of Experimental Phonetics, 1979. Available here.
62. Jakobovits, L.A. Social Psychology: Studying Community-Building Forces. Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii, 1979. (University of Hawaii Library) Parts available here.
63. Jakobovits, L.A. and Gordon, Barbara Y. Language teaching versus the teaching of talk. International Journal of Psycholingusitics, 1979, 6 (16), 5-22. Related article available here.
64. Jakobovits, L.A. and Nahl, Diane. Applied psycholinguistics for the 1980's: Student-done discourse analysis and the videotape language lab. The Linguistic Reporter, April 1981, 11-13. Available here.
65. Jakobovits, L.A. A review of "Discourse Analysis in Second Language Learning." Applied Psycholinguistics, 1981, 2(2), 185-91.
66. James, Leon. (1982) Bible Study Charts for Correspondences and Discourse Analysis. Available here
67. Jakobovits, L.A. Empiricism married to phenomenology: A review of Carol Kates' "Pragmatics and Semantics." Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 1982, 4(2), 205-10. Available here.
68. James, Leon and Nahl, Diane (1982) The Coming Swedenborgian Revolution in the Social Sciences and Humanities. Logos. Winter 1982. Available here
69. James, Leon. (1982) The Dimensions of the Mind According to Emanuel Swedenborg. Available here.
70. James, Leon. (1982) Spiritual Psychobiology. Available here
71. Jakobovits, L.A. Authentic language teaching through culture-simulation in the classroom. Bulletin of the Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics, April 1982, 4 (1), 9-30. Related article available here
72. James, Leon. (1984) Data on the Private World of the Driver: Affective, Cognitive, and Sensorimotor. Available online here
73. James, Leon. (1984) Spiritual Geography: The Horizontal and Vertical Communities of our Dual Citizenship. Available here
74. Jakobovits, L.A. Review of "Attitudes Towards Language Variation: Social and Applied Contexts." Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 1985.
75. Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane and Jakobovits, L.A. Managing the affective micro-information environment. Research Strategies, 1985, 3(1), 17-28.
76. James, Leon. (1985) Substantive Dualism -- The New Paradigm for Science. Swedenborg's Integration of Biological Theology and Rational Psychology . Available here
77. James, Leon. (1985)
Affective and Cognitive Resistance to Health Behaviors. Available here:
78. Jakobovits, L.A. and Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane. Learning the library: Taxonomy of skills and errors. College and Research Libraries, May 1987, 48 (3), 203-214. Related article available here.
79. Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane and Leon James. Teaching the Analysis of Titles: Dependent and Independent Variables in Research Articles. Research Strategies, 1987, 5(4), 164-71.
80. Jakobovits, Leon A. and Diane Nahl-Jakobovits. Course-Integrated Library Instruction Mentor Project. Report of the Educational Improvement Fund 1987- 88. Office of Faculty Development and Academic Support, University of Hawaii, 95-102.
81. James, Leon. (1987) Traffic Violence: A Crisis in Community Mental Health. Innercom -- Newsletter of the Mental Health Association in Hawaii. Available online here.
82. Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane and Leon James. Problem Solving and Creative Librarianship. College and Research Libraries, 1988, 49(5), 400-408.
83. James, Leon. (1987) Religious Psychology or Theistic Science: A Guide to Spiritual Self-examination. Available here
84. James, Leon. (1987) Religious Behaviorism: Swedenborg's Theory of Trisubstantivism as a Basis for the Science of Human Behavior. Available here.
85. Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane and Leon James. Learning Principles and the Library Environment. Research Strategies, 1990, 8(2), 74-81.
86. Jakobovits, Leon A. and Diane Nahl-Jakobovits. Measuring Information Searching Competence. College and Research Libraries, 1990, 51 (5), 448-462.
87. Jakobovits, Leon A. Course-Integrated Electronic Socializing on PLATO. UHCC Newsletter, 1991, 28(2), 12-14. Available here.
88. Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane and Leon James. A Content-Analysis Method For Developing User-Based Objectives. Research Strategies, 1992, 10(1), 4-16.
89. Jakobovits, Leon. Swedenborg's Religious Psychology: The Marriage of Good and Truth as Mental Health. Studia Swedenborgiana, 1993, 8(3), 13-42. Available here.
90. James, Leon. (1993) Swedenborg Glossary of Theistic Science. Available here
91. Diane Nahl and Leon James. Bibliographic Instructional Design for Information Literacy: Integrating Affective and Cognitive Objectives. Research Strategies, 1993, 11(2), 73-88.
92. James, Leon. (1994) Two Perspectives on Swedenborg's Writings: Secular and Religious (Part I). New Church Life , August 1994, 114(8), 348-362. Available here.
93. James, Leon. Two Perspectives on Swedenborg's Writings: Secular and Religious (Part II). New Church Life , September 1994, 114(9), 394-399. Available here
94. James, Leon. (1994) The Social Psychology of Driving. Available online here.
95. James, Leon. (1995) Principles of Driving Psychology. Available online here
96. Nahl, Diane and James, Leon. 1995. Achieving Focus, Engagement, and Acceptance: Three Phases of Adapting to Internet Use. Available here
97. James, Leon. Do the Writings of Swedenborg Contain Scientific Revelation? New Church Life , July 1995, 115(7), 325-330.
98. James, Leon. Dualist Science and the Writings of Swedenborg New Church Life , June 1995, 115(6), 264-270.
99. James, Leon and Bogan, Kevin. Analyzing Linkage Structure in a Course-Integrated Virtual Learning Community on the World Wide Web. INET '95 Conference Proceedings, June 1995, Honolulu. Available here
104. James, Leon. (1997) Driving Psychology Tests. Available online here.
105. James, Leon. .(1997) Congressional Testimony on Aggressive Drivers. Available online here.
174. James, Leon (2009). Road Rage article entry for Citizendium. This article has been viewed by hundreds of readers.
175. Leon James (2010). Lecture Notes for Studying Theistic Psychology. Part 1. Mental Anatomy. Electronic online book (128 pages). Published on the Web.
176. James, Leon (2010). Semantic Satiation article entry for Wikipedia. This article has been cited by hundreds of Web sites and popular answering services.
177. James, Leon (2010). A Man of the Field. Volume 1: The Struggle Against Nonduality and Materialism. Basis of Religion Series. Eagle Pearl Press. (Paper Back (444 pages), and electronic Kindle versions)
178. James, Leon (2011). A Man of the Field. Volume 2: Enlightenment, Extracting the Spiritual Sense of the Writings. Basis of Religion Series. Eagle Pearl Press. (Paper Back (442 pages) and electronic Kindle versions)
179. Leon James (2012). The Conjoined Pair: How to Become Soulmates and Best Friends in this Life and in the Afterlife. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. [Paperback] (226 pages) (ISBN-13: 978-1480107823)
180. Nahl, Diane and Leon James (2012). Technology Integration and Gamification in University Courses. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Research conference on Virtual Worlds. November 15-17. Edited by Leonel Morgado, et.al. Pp.41-48. Accessed at: http://repositorio.utad.pt/handle/10348/2305
181. James, Leon (2012). The Psychology of Sidewalk Rage. Article published on DrDriving.org, reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, and cited by dozens of news stories and hundreds of Web sites.
182. James, Leon (2012) Social Psychology of the Generational Community Classroom. Available at: http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/leonj/leonpsy/gc/spcc.html
183. Nahl, Diane and Leon James (2012). Technology Integration and Gamification in University Courses. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Research conference on Virtual Worlds. November 15-17. Edited by Leonel Morgado, et.al. Pp.41-48. http://repositorio.utad.pt/handle/10348/2305
Diane and Leon James (2013). Gamification in Instruction and the Management of
Intersubjectivity in Online University Courses. International
Journal of Web Portals 5(2) (April-June): 51-65.
185. Leon James (2013). Emerging Technologies and the Gamification of Instruction: Teaching Online Courses for Psychology Majors. (450 pages). Published on the Web at: http://drdriving.org/leonpsy38/classhome-g38.htm . (This compilation shows the online sequencing of student activities for 16 weeks for three different classes and topics. It describes different types of role-play activities that enhance topic exploration.)
James, Leon (2014). The Collaborative
Construction of Intersubjectivity Mediated by Technology:
A Social-Biological Model of Online Communication. Symbiosis: SOJ Psychology 1(3): 1-7. Online access: http://symbiosisonlinepublishing.com/psychology/psychology14.ph
187. James, Leon (2014). The threefold self and the four options: Self-monitoring one’s daily emotional spin cycle. Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry. 1(1), 1-14. Online access at: http://medcraveonline.com/JPCPY/JPCPY-01-00003.pdf
188. James, Leon (2014). What Causes Driving Stress and the Emotional Use of the Gas Pedal? In: Road Rage. Independence, KY: Cengage Learning Publishers.
189. James, Leon and Nahl, D. (2014). User discourse analysis in an avatar-mediated environment. Global Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences (GJISS), Vol. 3(3), May-June, 69-76. http://www.gifre.org/admin/papers/gjiss/69-76-USER-vol-3-3-gjiss.pdf
190. James, Leon and Nahl, D. (2014). A metatheory integrating social, biological and technological factors in information behavior research. Webology: The World Wide Web Library and Information Science. 11(1), June 2014, Article 116, 1-23. Online access at: www.webology.org/2014/v11n1/a116.pdf
191. James, Leon. (2014). Drivers against pedestrians: How to assess and change attitudes. International Journal of Scientific Research (IJSR), 3:8, 399-401 (August). Online access at: http://theglobaljournals.com/ijsr/file.php?val=August_2014_1406987209__122.pdf
192. James, Leon (2014). A Man of the Field Volume 3. Spiritual Regeneration Disciplines for Daily Life. Pleasanton: Eagle Pearl Press. (Paperback 451 pages, and electronic Kindle versions) (ASIN: B00NHWUGX4)
Other Online Books by Leon James
Lecture Notes on Mental Anatomy (3 volumes) (2007)
Principles of Theistic Psychology (18 volumes) (2004-2007)
A Man of the Field: Forming the New Church Mind (3 volumes) (2002)
The Unity Model of Marriage (2001-2007)
Moses, Paul, and Swedenborg (1999)
Swedenborg Encyclopedia of Theistic Psychology (1996-2007)
De Hemelsche Leer Commentary (1996)
The Doctrine of the Wife (1985)